Catching with the latest updates on SingShot and eSnips Karaoke contest, I begin to believe that Web Karaoke would certainly be able to attract many mainstream level web users, in the same way video sharing does (however not as stronger as usergen video). In other words - here's a consumer web service with a great potential to spread dramatically within a short time.
Reasons for this arise quickly when you think about it:
- Everyone knows what's Karaoke already.
- It's easy to engage in (mic + broadband).
- The "American Idol" / "Royal Academy" experience is a proven killer, people like to particiapte and to watch/listen to other "new talents" or better said funny mimics.
- It's quality content for embedding (in a blog, myspace page etc) - high "embeddibility" rank is a sign for hot stuff.
- Most importantly - it provides a distinctive and powerful way for self expression. Which is the basis for any killer consumer service / app in the digital world.
- The path to selling music/ringtones/videos around such services is quick and intuitive.
We are waiting to see how this initiative evolves, with a great intent to explore the business channels, obviously :)